Empathways is a three-round card deck designed to spark important discussion and joint reflection between young people and family planning service providers. The tool aims to develop provider empathy for young clients and to encourage providers to pull from this empathy to deliver more youth-centered family planning and contraceptive services.
These case studies summarize how—and why—Breakthrough ACTION integrated the Empathways card deck as a practical exercise into health care provider trainings in Liberia and Kenya. The case studies also include monitoring results and next steps.
- A Will to “Do Better” in Youth Family Planning Service Delivery: The Interpersonal Communication and Counseling Experience in Liberia [English | French] [PDF]
- Empathways: Centering the Heart in Youth Contraceptive Services
- Empathways—Dealing a winning hand to youth-centered health services in Nigeria, Lesotho, South Africa, and Côte d’Ivoire
- Paving the Way to More Empathetic Youth Contraceptive Services: The Empathways Experience in Kenya [English | French] [PDF]
- Starting Off Right: Mentorship Begins With Empathy in Nepal
The results brief focuses on the results of a light-touch monitoring effort in Côte d’Ivoire and Togo that the project conducted with adult participants to gauge whether the Empathways card deck contributed to reducing social barriers for youth to access family planning and reproductive health information and services.
- West Africa Breakthrough ACTION Community Empathways Dialogue Results Brief [English | French] [PDF]
Explore how other countries have used Empathways in their work.